Decoding Dyslexia California
Decoding Dyslexia California is a group of everyday people that want to bring awareness and offer support to those with dyslexia. Some of us are, or have children that are, dyslexic. We are not experts, nor are we a business or educational organization. We offer others the benefit of our collective experiences. We encourage parents of children that are dyslexic and those who have been touched personally by the challenges and gifts of dyslexia to meet with their local policy-makers to tell the story of their child, or their own story, and ask for policies and/or legislation to identify and support dyslexic children in our public schools.
Decoding Dyslexia CA is advocating for California to implement:
• A universal definition and understanding of “dyslexia” in the state education code
• Mandatory teacher training on dyslexia, its warning signs and appropriate intervention strategies
• Mandatory early screening tests for dyslexia
• Mandatory dyslexia remediation programs that have been scientifically proven to be effective, which can be accessed by both general and special education populations
• Access to appropriate assistive technologies and accommodations in the public school setting for students with dyslexia